A special and exclusive interview with Paula Radcliffe and her daughter, Isla
In this episode we talk to Marathon Queen and former world Record Holder Paula Radcliffe and her incredible daughter Isla about Isla's cancer diagnosis at the age of 14 in the autumn of 2020 during the Covid-19 pandemic. It is the first time outside the Sunday Times article that Isla has spoken publicly about her experience with cancer.
- The reality of being diagnosed with cancer at 14 year old.
- How it felt to go through this experience as a family.
- How Paula, as a mother, coped with her daughter's diagnosis and treatment journey.
- How important it is to have that support network and people to lean on.
- How homemade pizza, pesto pasta and lots of lemon juice were the main foods on the menu during chemotherapy cycles
- How hard losing your hair during treatment can really be, especially for a teenager.
- Their love for sport and exercise as a family and how Isla's dream became a reality when her mum launched the 'Families on Track' initiative at the Durham city run festival in 2019.
- Who's the most competitive in the family and who would win master chef between Mum (Paula) and Dad (Gary)
Find out more about the Families on Track initiative HERE.
Please do get in touch with any suggestions, feedback or questions, and help us spread the word about the podcast to anyone you know who might find it useful. Thank you!
5k Your Way, Move Against Cancer Initiative Website
With HUGE thanks to:
Production: Steve Bland
Music Credit: Asepirawan20 from Pixabay