Jenny Wilson: The Fundraising GP and her Breast Cancer Journey
Jenny is an active GP from Bedford who was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 45. Despite guidance on moving when living with cancer being limited at the time Jenny continued to lift weights and then began running when parkrun came to Bedford. She said she felt better for moving more and sitting less. Jenny found that she also really enjoyed encouraging others, including her patients to move more and became a local parkrun run director and then one of our brilliant Bedford 5k Your Way Ambassadors. In 2022, Jenny will be turning 60, an age she says at one point she wasn't sure she'd reach so she has combined her love of fundraising and challenges to take on a year of challenges to fundraise for MOVE!
In this episode you will hear:
- Jenny's breast cancer diagnosis and what that was like as a GP.
- All about the impact of parkrun on Jenny's life.
- How having had cancer and been a patient herself has affected the way she works with her patients now as a GP.
- 14 years since Jenny's diagnosis: How the relationship between exercise and cancer has changed completely.
- Lockdown and exercise: How this changed lots of people's outlook on exercise for the better.
- Fundraising: What challenges Jenny is doing and why she is so passionate about fundraising to support more people to Move Against Cancer.
Books Jenny recommends:
The Complete Guide to Breast Cancer: How to Feel Empowered and Take Control, Professor Trisha Greenhalgh and Liz O'Riordan